Friday, December 5, 2008

A Gingerbread Tradition


One of my favorite traditions, from my childhood, has to be when we would create an entire gingerbread village for Christmas. Of course, we had enough people to make houses (10 children plus 2 adults)! My mom always spent extra time landscaping the village. There were vast lakes with overhanging waterfalls, frozen in time. Miniature ice skaters danced playfully on their mirrored surfaces. Bears slept in caves, pine trees with tiny red berries begged to be eaten, and new-fallen, powdered sugar snow accented the scenery.

Each of us made blueprints of the house we would build and my mom cut out the shapes and baked them, equipped with stained-glass candy windows! My mom was responsible for the church, with its steeple pointing towards the heavens and the windows depicted beautiful mosaics. It truly was a masterpiece, year after year. I don't have to0 many pictures that showcase what I'm talking about, but I've included a few. I'll try to find some more.
'Tis the Season